Here are the 4 “A’s” to preventing falls in the workplace and at home.
ASK yourself before beginning your work:
• Is a fall protection plan in place?
• Are you trained in and using proper fall protection equipment?
• Are fall prevention systems like guardrails in place?
• Are you maintaining three points of ladder contact at all times?
• Are you working on a ladder outdoors in windy or inclement weather? Don’t!
• Is the base of the ladder on a firm, solid surface?
• If on scaffolding, does it meet OSHA’s scaffolding standard?
Be AWARE Keep an eye out for possible hazards:
• Tears in the carpeting
• Spills on the floor
• Obstacles blocking a walkway
• Clutter on stairs
• Cords trailing on the floor
ADDRESS the hazard Don’t assume someone else is taking care of it:
• Make sure there’s adequate lighting
• Clean up manageable spills
• Find out what’s causing it and report
• Alert whoever is in charge
ALWAYS keep safety top of mind:
• Don’t walk too fast
• Don’t carry anything that obstructs your view
• Watch where you’re going – even in familiar areas
• Avoid distractions like cell phones
• Wear proper footwear
• Use ladders to reach heights—never boxes or chairs
• Look out for changes in elevation
• Take care when ground is wet or icy
• Report every fall, even minor slips
Click on the link to download a poster with these 4 “A’s” http://ow.ly/PZJd30kz8JE